Saturday 24 August 2013

I Can't Live Without....

Sewing books

This is my small but rapidly growing collection of sewing books. I love them all and have a long list of projects from them.
 
       My first one was the 'Encyclopaedia of Sewing Techniques' by Jan Eaton. I love this book not only because it was my first serious sewing book and a gift from my mother, but also because it really does have everything you need to know in order to get it right when you sew. It has everything from knowing your sewing machine to different seams, pleats and darts. From embroidery to patchwork, quilting and dressmaking projects. The illustrations look a bit outdated but hey it is an edition from 1986 and I think it adds to the lovely vintage feel to the book.

From old to new. The latest addition to the family is....
and....

(sorry this picture came out a bit blurry oops)
 
        These two are unfortunately only temporary additions as I got them from the Library but after having a mooch through with a cup of tea and a cake, I fell instantly in love with them and I just knew I had to have them. So they have been added to my watch list on Ebay. The 'Stitch Step By Step' book is full to the brim with embroidery stiches, needle work designs and something I have not come across before 'Florentine Stitching'. Embroidery is something I have wanted to do since forever so I was so excited when I found this book with a step by step picture guide to tons of different stitches. I can't wait to try them. I have also fell in love with Florentine stitching it is so beautiful and I love how it has quite a retro feel.
        'The Busy Girls Guide To Sewing' is a definite must have if you are trying to set up a craft business. Not only does it have some lovely easy and quick projects like aprons, folders and covering a pouffe.  It has tons of advice on how to set up a craft business, how to find supplies and so on. I would definitely recommend this book.
 
As for my favourite book. It is a tie between...
The Great British Sewing Bee and...
Reader's Digest, Complete Guide to Sewing
       
        The Great British Sewing Bee book is new, modern, full of lovely pictures from the show and there are so many projects. It is easy to use and great for all levels. With step by step pictures and then projects to put your new skills into practice, this has to be the easiest sewing book I have ever used. Plus there is the added bonus of free sewing patterns in the back of the book.
        My joint favourite is the all time sewing bible.... Reader's Digest, Complete Guide to sewing. It was a gift from someone I once knew and really is the book every seamstress should have. Again the illustrations are dated but who cares when there is so many stitches of wisdom in this book. I could loose myself in this book looking at all the skills, tips, advice and how to's. It is easy to understand with step by step instructions that are accompanied by an illustration. The only way to describe it is The Sewing Bible.
 
So those are a few book from my collection. What are your favourite craft books? It could be anything from woodwork to paper craft. Let me know what your go to book is for your skill.
 
 
Keep Crafting everyone
Speak Soon
xxx


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you my favourite is the Reader's Digest book! It has taught me to sew quite competently and the instructions are so clear. I have bought a few other books but the layout of Reader's Digest makes it so quick to find the technique you're after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, the layout is great I don't know what I would do without it.

      Delete