Sunday 18 August 2013

How to Make a Pencil Skirt




Here is the perfect first garment to make if you are a beginner. I chose a thick cotton fabric as it is easy to use, versatile and a flattering fabric to wear. It is a greyish navy colour. The fabric was given to me from a friend and I had planned to make a skirt from it for a while but was convinced that I didn't have anything to wear with it, I soon realised that this colour goes with so many things. I made it for a special event and wore it with a magenta blouse and pale pink kitten heels. I made it longer than the average pencil skirts that you will find in the shops because I love the 40s style and think that the lengths of the skirts in the 40s were so flattering I just had to make one that length. I had taken photos of the process but they were bad quality, so if any of you can recommend a good and free photo editor or have any tips for taking good photos then please let me know. I would really appreciate it. So heres what to do..........

1) Cut the fabric
The pattern I used was placed on the fold. Iron the fabric and put a fold down it. Place the pattern on the fold and pin it down. Cut out the front piece, the back piece and the waist band. Mark on the darts and seam allowance.
 
2) Darts
Make sure you tack the darts in place first so that the fabric does not slip and you end up with a wonky dart. Then sew the darts and unpick the tacking. It is best to use a contrast colour for the tacking to make it easier to unpick after. 
 
3) Seams
Tack one side then mark where the zipper will be on the other side. Tack up to the zipper marker then you are ready to sew. I always find it best to check the fit at this stage as it saves having to undo lots of work later on if something has gone slightly wrong.
 
4) Insert the zipper
Again always tack it first. Once the zipper is tacked in, I try the skirt for fit again as the zipper can make all the difference. To insert the zip, I used a centred zipper. Although the Sewing bee book recommended an invisible zipper and for side seams a lap zipper is more professional, I felt that the centred zipper sat better on me. (Plus this is the first zip I have ever put in, so I am thrilled at the result).
 
5) Waistband
Now it is time to add the waistband. Press the seam allowance of the waistband, then measure up the middle of the waist band with the side seam. With right sides together, pin, tack and sew the one edge of the waistband to the skirt. Press the waistband in half and then pin tack and sew to the inside of the skirt. Using slip stitches close the ends of the waistband.
 
6) Hem
This is the simplest part. Measure and then turn up the hem. Turn it over twice so that it remains neat.
 
And voila...
You have a simple pencil skirt. I created this skirt from the Great British Sewing bee book, which I absolutely love. Have a go and show me the results. I am currently doing another pencil skirt with lace over the top of it. I will post the results of that one soon.
 
So keep sewing folks...
Speak soon.
=D

No comments:

Post a Comment