Tuesday 3 September 2013

Tilda Notice Board

Ok so here is a little something I have been making for my Sister's 2nd wedding anniversary. (but shhhhh she doesn't know yet ;-D)

I decided to make something for the home. I had some scraps of pretty Tilda and Cath Kidston fabrics that went well together but I didn't want to make just anything like a cushion. I wanted it to be something different. So I chose to make a notice board Here is how I have done it....

1) Cut the fabric squares in half diagonally to create little triangles then stitch them all together in what ever pattern/ design you like this is how mine came out...



2) This on it's own looks pretty but now we are going to cover up those seams. I chose a white cotton lace trim. Just start by pinning it down so that you can get the positioning right...

 

3) How pretty is that! Now it is time to stitch the lace down around the edges and then add the buttons I thought the buttons would look nice in the centre if the squares. I also added an odd silver button with a swirly pattern on it in the centre of the whole thing...


4) After sewing the lace down and adding the buttons, we then need to tidy up the sides. I used an over-locker for this but if you don't have an over-locker, a sewing machine works just as well. Place right sides together and start with the 2 short side pieces...



5) Now add the other 2 longer sides. In the same way, with right sides together. Remember to pin it first and if you feel unsteady with the fabric it is better to take the precaution of tacking it too...


6) Finally you need ply wood and wadding. Staple the wadding to the ply wood and then stretch your notice board cover over it. Try not to stretch it out of shape but at the same time it needs to be quite tight so that papers don't just fall out of it. Staple it to the board and staple a backing over it. then cover the staples with the lace trim.

I don't have a picture of the finished item yet as I haven't given it to my sister yet and I want her to seen the finished product first. But when I give it her I will take a picture and share it with you.

It's easier than you think and really fun to make. It allows for lots of creativity so make it unique to you.

Let me know what you think and send me pics of your notice boards I'd love to see them
 
Keep Crafting everyone
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment